Ask any parent and they’ll tell you that one of the most stressful things about having a new baby is the lack of sleep. There’s nothing quite like the tiredness you can feel when your sleep is constantly broken, night after night… but the good news is that- honestly!- it really doesn’t last forever. And there are many little tweaks you can make to your daily routine to ensure your baby sleeps a little more peaceful too. This week we’re sharing some of our favourite tips for baby bedtime, with a focus on bath time how to use soothing soap for your little one. Read on to find out more…
Babies like routine
We humans are true creatures of habit, and this starts pretty much as soon as we’re born. Having a good baby bedtime routine is the first step to improving night time sleep- and that routine starts from the moment they wake in the morning.
Having a good daytime routine is essential, because it more or less ‘sets the scene’ for bedtime. So if you have a good solid routine every day, you’re already in a good place when it comes to getting a little more sleep at night.
Bathtime is an essential part of your baby’s bedtime routine
If you take only one thing from this post, then let it be this. Bath time is one of the BEST ways to calm and soothe your baby and an essential part of any good baby bedtime routine. Here are just three reasons why:
- Bath time is an amazing sensory experience for babies. From an early age babies are soothed and relaxed by the warmth of the water alone.
- When you take your baby out of the bath, their body temperature drops and this helps them to fall asleep more quickly. Clever, huh?
- When taken at the end of the day, at around the same time, lots of babies quickly learn that bedtime follows bath time. They associate the warmth of the water and the rituals of bath time with sleep- so the more constant you are, the better.
Can I use soap at bath time?
For at least the first month, your baby needs only plain water at bath time and for in between washes. It’s recommended that you use nothing but baby bath soap until you baby is around 12 months old, and to avoid regular soap. Of course, our advice is to always avoid regular soap altogether, no matter how old you are! Natural soap will always be the best baby soap for bath time- and here’s why:
- Natural soap does not contain any harsh chemicals or additives that can potential harm your baby’s delicate skin.
- Natural soap is way more economic than regular liquid baby soap- a bar goes a very long way!
- Natural soap is better for sensitive skin and contain natural ingredients that are chosen for their skincare benefits- no nasty perfumes or potential allergens.
So what’s the best baby soap to use at bath time?
Because your baby’s skin is so delicate (it has fewer layers than adult skin, so whatever you put on it is absorbed very quickly and its therefore more prone to sensitivities) the best baby soap is always going to be the bar with the fewest ingredients. We recommend our Unperfumed bars because they’re perfect for even the most sensitive of skin- with all natural ingredients and nourishing oils designed to soothe and hydrate.
Our Unperfumed bar with Olive Oil is an amazing baby soap that won’t irritate your baby’s skin- it’s gentle enough to be used on the face too. Similarly, our Unperfumed bar with Avocado Oil is another great baby soap bar, also made with natural ingredients and also a real powerhouse when it comes to nourishing and soothing the skin. This one is also suitable for use on the face, and like the other unperformed bars in our range they can be used by the whole family- making them a great budget choice too. Win win!