As part of our #lockdownlove self-care series, we’re sharing tips and ideas on how you can look after yourself and your wellbeing during the UK’s third lockdown. At Little Soap Company, we love nothing more than running a bath – and we really go to town with it – candles, a good book, and a long time spent wallowing in those bubbles. We’ve also recently discovered how simple it is to make your own bath bombs! Have a go with this easy-to-follow guide and fizz up your bathtime! This BBC Good Food recipe will create an Orange bath bomb, the perfect complement to our Grapefruit & Orange soap bar…
You will need:
· 100g bicarbonate of soda
· 50g citric acid
· 25g cornflour
· 25g Epsom salt (optional)
· 2 tbsp oil – such as sunflower, coconut or olive oil
· ¼ tsp essential oil, such as orange, lavender or chamomile
· a few drops of liquid food colouring
· orange peel, lavender or rose petals, to decorate (optional)
1. Put the bicarbonate of soda, citric acid, cornflour and Epsom salt in a bowl, then whisk until fully combined.
2. Pour the base oil, essential oil and food colouring in a small bowl. Mix together well, combining the oil with the colouring as much as possible.
3. Very slowly add the oil mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time, whisking between each addition. When all the oil is added, add a few tiny drops of water and whisk again (it will fizz when you add the water, so mix it in quickly). You’re looking for the mixture to slightly clump together when pressed in your hand and keep its shape – it shouldn’t be too wet.
4. If you’re adding peel or flower petals to decorate, drop them into the bottom of your chosen mould. Pack your mixture tightly on top, pressing down and smoothing out the top with a teaspoon.
5. Leave your bath bomb in the mould to dry for 2-4 hrs, then carefully remove it. It’s now ready to drop into the bath – watch it fizz away!
You can use yogurt pots, silicone ice trays or silicone cupcake cases for moulds!
During our third lockdown, here at Little Soap Company, we’ve found a new love for podcasts, so whilst you’re making your bath bombs here’s a selection of our favourites for you to listen to!
Happy Place: Fearne Cotton
“Fearne draws on her own experiences and shares advice from experts on how to work through feeling blue to finding joy each and every day. Whatever your reason for feeling lost or frazzled from the pressures of fast-paced life, there are ways to put one foot in front of the other and help you unlock that inner happiness.”
Listen here: https://play.acast.com/s/happy-place
Happier with Gretchen Rubin
“Gretchen Rubin is HAPPIER, and she wants you to be happier too. The #1 bestselling author of The Happiness Project and Better Than Before gets more personal than ever as she brings her practical, manageable advice about happiness and good habits to this lively, thought-provoking podcast.”
Listen here: https://gretchenrubin.com/podcasts/
The Mindful Podcast
“Exploring bodyscape meditation to how to deal with your anxiety in 20 minutes, The Mindful Podcast is a helping friend to your mind and then your body and soul.”
Listen here: https://play.acast.com/s/themindfulpodcast