Regular readers will know that we’re all for natural remedies when it comes to taking care of our bodies- but we advocate for natural ingredients when it comes to cleaning the home too. It’s time we all turned our backs on harsh chemicals and other irritants that can invade our homes- there really is no need to clean with such harmful products! So without further ado, here are just a few of our favourite eco cleaning hacks for summer, using just two natural ingredients- do let us know in the comments if you have any more to share!
Bicarbonate of soda
Bicarbonate of soda is our go-to when it comes to getting through a really good deep clean, especially in the summer. When it comes to natural remedies, this is one power house you have to try!
- Use it to deodorise the kitchen bins- sprinkle a little inside to keep foul smells at bay.
- Mix it with white vinegar to form a paste and use to wipe down stainless steel sinks.
- Sprinkle some onto a cloth and use to clean soap residue from the bathroom- suitable for use on shower curtains too.
- Flip your mattress and vacuum it. Then sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda, leave to sit for 30 minutes then vacuum again. This hack can be used on pet bedding too.
- Get the garden ready to gather your loved ones- sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on to oil stains on the driveway and scrub with a brush to remove.
- Mix with warm water and apply with a soft cloth to clean garden furniture.
- Use it on a soft cloth to clean out picnic containers and leave them smelling fresh ready for next time.
- Keep a pot of it at the back of the fridge to absorb odours.
- Add 200g to a laundry load to leave your washing brighter and cleaner.
- Sprinkle some inside your shoes and remove before you put them on again. Odours be gone!
We’ve known for a long time that lemons have a multitude of uses, and especially when it comes to cleaning the home. Here are just a few of the best ways to use them:
- Freshen the air- add lemon rinds to a pot with water and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer and enjoy the fresh, summery fragrance.
- Clean windows with lemon and water- no more sunshine streaks.
- Clean your microwave- cut a lemon in half, squeeze one half each into two bowls and fill halfway with water. Heat on high for 305 minutes and then remove. Use a soft cloth to gently wipe down the microwave and voila!
- Squeeze half a lemon into the toilet bowl then sprinkle in some salt. Use your toilet brush (or the discarded lemon half) to scrub the bowl, then flush. Sparkling!
- Cut a lemon in half and use it to clean your bathroom and kitchen taps. Finish off by wiping with a soft cloth.