These days they say that green is the new black, and here at Little Soap Company HQ we have to agree. We’re huge advocates of taking the earth’s priorities to heart when it comes to health and beauty products, and we love sharing our tips and tricks with you too. So with that in mind, this week we’re all about eco friendly beauty tips that won’t break the bank. Enjoy!
Switch to an all natural makeup bag
It’s a no brainer. We’ve written before about the benefits if ditching the mass produced stuff and going for a more natural approach when it comes to make up. Read this post for more info on it all.
Get rid of disposable products and invest in good quality products that are going to last a longer time. So instead of using throw away eye shadow applicators and make up brushes, invest in some that are going to stand the test of time. Yes, the cost is higher initially, but in the end you’ll save more and you’ll help to reduce the amount of rubbish your household send to landfill.
Set a timer
When you take a shower, set a timer and challenge yourself to spend less time in there. You’ll save water- and time- and it doesn’t cost you a thing. And while you’re at it, consider replacing your shower head with a slow flow shower head instead- it will use much less water overall.
Make some cuts
If you use cotton wool pads, face wipes or cotton buds, cut them in half to double your stash. You’ll spend less and you’ll throw less away too.
Switch to DIY beauty tricks
We LOVE sharing DIY beauty tricks with you, so here are three of our current favourites…
- Use banana peel to whiten your teeth. Seriously. Rub the inside of a peel over the front of your top and bottom teeth for about a minute, then leave to sit on your teeth for another ten. Then brush away gently with a toothbrush and repeat this process a few times a week. Much cheaper than expensive home whitening kits that are riddled with chemicals.
- Use bicarbonate of soda to deep clean your hair. Forget the harsh and expensive shampoos and hair masks- this will leave your hair super soft and shiny, and rid it of product build up too.
- Use coconut oil as a make up remover- no more nasty chemicals and plastic packaging for landfill.
Know where to apply
Perfume can be expensive and if your favourite scent really cannot be replicated with essential oils, then fear not- you can still be eco friendly if you buy less of it. The trick is to know where to apply it so that it lasts all day. The top spots are:
- Behind the ear
- Base of the throat
- Inside elbow
- Behind knee
- Inside wrist
Work it overnight
If your hair needs a soak or your feet are dry and cracked, apply super intensive moisturisers such as coconut oil and leave overnight. Your body will thank you in the morning, and it will cost you nothing either. Saves waiting around using electricity while you wait to rinse off!
Re-use what you can
Make up brushes, sponges, bottles and pots… re-use what you can, to save spending more money on new products and to reduce the amount of rubbish YOU send to landfill. Here are two things you can re-use…
- green teabags- Placed cold, used teabags over your eyes to combat dark circles and bags.
- mascara wands- clean them up and re-use them! Use to clean fine jewellery, comb your eyebrows and even to unclog drains!
What are your top eco friendly beauty tips?