This time of year can play havoc with the skin, and with the recent heatwave looking set to continue, now is the time to really pay attention to your skin care routine. If you’re prone to sensitive skin, your beauty routine might need a few extra tweaks (see this post on how to prepare your skin for summer) and so this week we’re focusing on how to do exactly that. This is our green summer skin care routine for sensitive skin- do let us know in the comments what works for you, and and what you’d add to the routine.
Natural remedies for sensitive skin…
During the hot summer months our skin can become dry and irritable, and if we get too much of that lovely sunshine, for whatever reason, then disaster awaits! But it doesn’t have to be like that, and you don’t need to suffer this summer. our favourite natural remedies for sensitive skin include:
- Apple cider vinegar. Dab some on to a cotton wool ball and use before bed to cleanse the face. It may sting a little (avoid the eyes!) but it will settle, and your skin will literally drink in the benefits. This works so well to balance the pH of the face so it’s great during the summer months.
- Witch Hazel. Another great way to cleanse the face and to encourage the production of natural oils in the skin- great for those who are prone to dry patches especially.
- Olive oil. A super way to moisturise and protect the skin, olive oil is a firm favourite during warmer temperatures.
Tweak your morning routine
It’s all about finding out what works for you, and tweaking it until you have the perfect routine. Then, when the seasons change you need to go with the flow and adjust accordingly. It takes time to find the products and routine that are right for you, but don’t give up. Here are a few ways that you can make a positive start now:
- Start your day with a glass of warm water. Now hear us out! Yes, it’s hot- even in the mornings at the moment! But drinking ice cold water does your digestive system no favours, especially when you’ve spent at least the last 8 hours fasting. By drinking warm or room temperature water, you’re able to flush out the body and prepare it for the day ahead. This is turn will be reflected in your skin. Add a slice of lemon to draw out toxins and ready the body for action.
- Double cleanse your skin. Start with your usual cleanser, then follow it up with a natural remedy too, to make sure that it’s super clean and there’s nothing left to block your pores or cause irritation.
- Sprtiz! Sensitive skin needs all the help it can get, especially when the weather is hot. Use a gentle face mist to hydrate and cool. Make your own by seeping a green tea bag in a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes, then move to the fridge to cool. Then add two or three drops of vitamin E oil and pour into a spray bottle. Store it in the fridge to use after cleansing.
- Moisturise. It’s so important to keep your skin hydrated for the day and don’t forget to check the label to make sure there are no nasties in there!
- Sun protection! Lastly, don’t forget the sun screen. Read this post for information on natural sun screens, and if you’re buying then make sure you read the label and research on the ingredients inside.
Tweak your evening routine
Here are our tips on the perfect evening skin care routine for sensitive skin:
- Always, always, ALWAYS remove your make-up at the end of the day! Use a really good cleanser that will take away all of that makeup, SPF and other toxins that accumulate throughout the day. This is one step you really cannot skip!
- Gently exfoliate. The reason why we recommend you do this is all down to the fact you need to strengthen your skin as much as possible during the summer months. You’re likely to be spending more time outside, and for this reason alone, gently exfoliating to remove dead skin cells is a must!
- Use a gentle toner to refresh and tone your skin.
- Massage your moisturiser into the skin. Hydrate and stimulate- the best way to end the day!
What does your summer skin care routine look like right now?