Every single one of our soap products, both bar soap and liquids (hand wash, body wash and bubble bath) are considered naturally-based and all bar two are organic.
The National Ingredient Resource Center (NIRC) considers a product “all-natural,” if it contains at least 95% of ingredients that fits their criteria for natural ingredients. The other 5% may come from ingredients that do not meet their criteria for natural, but do not contain synthetic fragrances, artificial colours, or harmful fillers.
Little Soap Company uses mostly natural and/or organic ingredients.
Sometimes it is necessary to use a non-toxic synthetic ingredient (s) when no equivalent can be found in nature. While the idea of using 100% all natural products may seem appealing, it is not practical and does not necessarily mean they are safe. In fact, failure to include effective preservatives in a product can lead to health problems, such as skin infection. It is necessary to use some type of synthetic non-toxic preservative(s) to ensure the products you use are safe.
The recent negative publicity surrounding the use of parabens may give the impression that all synthetic preservatives are toxic or carcinogenic, when in fact, they are not. In an ideal world, we’d be able to pluck the leaves or seeds from a plant or tree, crush it up and mix into our products and come up with a safe and effective preservative. In reality, this is not feasible.
Some natural preservatives are originally plant derived, but must undergo a chemical process to convert them into a viable and effective compound strong enough to prevent and combat bacteria and fungus. A balance must be struck between effectiveness and gentleness – in other words, a preservative, which is not only non-toxic, but one that won’t cause skin irritations or allergic reactions.
There are many synthetic ingredients that are considered to be safe and non-toxic.
Conversely, there are all-natural ingredients, which can be considered toxic, and you wouldn’t want to use. From our perspective and in our research, it is more important for a product to be safe and non-toxic rather than a 100% all-natural and organic.
With that in mind, here is how our products fair in relation to that – pretty amazing facts really!