She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head
And whispered to her neighbour
Winter is dead
Last week we wrote about ways that you can spring clean your body as the seasons change, and this week we’re focusing on your beauty routine too. Now is as good a time as any to be out with the old and in with the new as the cold weather fades and the sunshine starts to set in. Your beauty routine will benefit from regular clear outs that your skin (and self confidence) will thank you for. So here are three little ways you can spring clean your beauty routine.
Clear out your make up bag
This is probably a task that you’ve been meaning to do for ages, right? Well there’s no time like the present. Make up bag clear outs are a good idea at the start of every season, but more so in spring. Some cosmetics should only be used for a limited amount of time, and eye make up especially should be replaced regularly. Check all of your cosmetics for use by dates and while you’re at it, if there’s anything that contains nasty chemicals or that has been tested on animals, now is the time to replace it. Read this post for more information on why natural skin care products are a necessity.
Update your skin care routine
Your skin needs different care in the changing season, and as we move into spring you might notice that the products you’re using are no longer as effective as they were during winter. You may find that you need a lighter moisturiser now that the cold air and harsh central heating systems aren’t as much of a regular feature in your life. Listen to your skin, and adjust your routine accordingly. Use a cleanser to reinvigorate your skin and don’t forget your toner either. Here is a fab recipe for one that you can make at home. You need:
- Half a cucumber, chopped
- 3 tablespoon witch hazel
- 2 tablespoon water
Blend all of the ingredients together and then pass through a muslin cloth to remove solids. Store in an airtight container. To use, apply with cotton wool after cleansing. The cucumber helps to soothe and soften the skin, and if you place two cool slices over closed eyes you can help to reduce puffiness too.
Give your diet an overhaul
Perhaps some bad habits have crept into your diet over winter, or maybe you’ve got yourself into a bit of a rut… either way, there are lots of new foods you can incorporate into spring diet, so make the most of it. Why not try a bit of a spring detox? The following foods are great for this purpose:
- Beets- fabulous in juices or on salads and filled with essential anti-oxidants.
- Celery- high in electrolytes, celery helps to neutralise the effects of acidifying foods and are great added to juices and salads too.
- Chia seeds- super rich in anti-oxidants, these tiny seeds are vital for cell protection and toxin elimination. We love this super simple chocolate pudding made with cacao and avocado- simply blend the following together, chill and serve: 1 avocado, 3 tablespoon cacao (or cocoa powder), one quarter of a cup of honey, 2 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon vanilla, one half a teaspoon cinnamon. Delicious!
- Watercress- a powerful detoxifying food that can help to reduce the risk of cancer, and tastes great in salads, soups and juices.
- Apples- the humble fruit that packs a nutritional punch. Apples are known to cleanse the body and make a great snack on the go.
What you eat is reflected in your outer beauty, and your new spring beauty routine will benefit from a bit of an overhaul too.
How will you be spring cleaning your beauty routine as the seasons change?